Friday 21 October 2011

Goodbye to old Running Partners.

Last weekend, I finally had to say goodbye to the trainers that did so much to get me to where I am today. It wouldn't be right not to say a few words about them, and give a dignified send off to two old friends.

In 2006, when I had got to 13.5 stone and was disgusted with myself, I purchased a pair of trainers, as a desperate act. I'd just got out of a pretty nasty relationship and found myself in a precarious state of mental health, and so I threw myself into training, knowing that if I recovered my fitness, I might find a little bit more sanity along the way.



Note the holes, the worn down heels and gripless toes, the stretched and savaged air pads. This is a pair of trainers that worked hard.


These baby-blue Nike -Bowerman Series Air Pegasus trainers cost me £45 (I think) and they have served me ridiculously well. I started running again from scratch in February 2006, downloaded the Up&Running 0-5k plan, and ran my first 5k Race for Life at Skipton in the May, and another in London in June that year. I'd been out for a run in these on the day I was knocked off my bike and broke my collarbone (November 16th 2006) - I may even have been wearing them at the time. They sat in the wardrobe for a few months until I was able to get out again, and then they got me through another spring and summer of training and up to my first 10k at Harewood House on 16th September 2007.

All over Morley, Churwell, then Meanwood and as far out as Alwoodley, together we laid down some serious footprints. These were the trainers I conquered Dunny Hill in, the achievement I class as my official qualification as a Runner. Until I had battled the same monster hill as my Dad, and won, I was just playing at it.

This year, having purchased a pair of cheap New Balances in the sale, just to get back into running with, I demoted them, and they emerged from under the stairs to become my main vehicle for getting to work in: these helped me walk 40miles a week on average until I recognised that there was more of my socks showing through the mesh than was respectable.

They have been forlornly sitting by the back door for weeks, as if knowing it would only be a matter of time before I plucked up the compassion to do the decent thing and move them the final 5metres into the black bin. I did that last Saturday morning. But, in order to mark their passing, I took a photo.

Farewell then, old friends. We came a long way together.

It won't be too long until the NB's have to go the same way. They're coping very well indeed to say that they've now walked approximately 500miles AND they have been running with me since I started this year. I plan to invest in some properly measured and supportive trainers to get me through the next few months because I have a very exciting new running project on the cards for next year - more of which in the next post.

ONE MORE THING...

Finally! I've found the missing race. There's nothing like leaving it late! Tonight I've signed up to run the McCain Yorkshire Coast 10k Road Race next Sunday in Scarborough. Whoohoo! 5 races.

And that was far too easy..... watch this space for next year's big challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment